Monday, October 6, 2008

A quick rant about discussions in political science classes

What about them? Simply put, I can't stand them. Yeah, it all sounds good in theory, "We're going to foster discussion and debate and hash out our ideas with open minds so we can rethink them and eventually come to more balanced and educated opinions on matters of worldly importance!" YEAH, what could be better, right?!!

Oh wait, except it doesn't really work that way. Instead what ends up happening is a bunch of ill-informed dicks prattle on for what seems like endless hours in subjects they have no authority in and pointlessly argue with each other, trying to prove who knows the most, while I sit there and think about what a waste of time this is, all the while reinforcing for me one of the many reasons I almost never go to class. I go to class to LEARN, preferably from someone like, I dunno, my PROFESSOR, who has like 20 years experience working for the CIA, rather than some random fuckbag who thinks he's qualified to talk about the decline of the US as a superpower just because he passed Poli Sci 101 and read Ch. 1 of the assigned book.

Why come to class if all you're interested in is proving what you already know?? Why not instead just shut the hell up and try to learn something from people that are a lot more well-read and well-versed than you? Or at least just shut the hell up and let ME listen, so that in the future when I talk about something I won't have to sound like a condescending dumbass.

God, I hate people.

No comments: